Thursday, December 17, 2009

HP Old Mal


I really enjoy riding old mals - particularly the old mals right on the cusp before boards went short 66'-67'. My favourite is a 9'6" Peter Clarke Stringerless I wrangled from my father's collection.

A few years back I was watching 'Hot Generation' and I was really inspired by Midget Farrelly's surfing at Bells on what I am pretty sure was a stringerless old mal. His footwork was super tidy and he was throwing his board around - the board looked light.

The board I'm riding above was made under these influences - it is 9'2 1/4", stringerless, Greenough style fin, rolled bottom the whole way, hippy at back and pulled in and parrallel mid to front. Its light too, no stringer with a 4 oz bottom and double 4 deck. It's been a little challenging getting used to it (it's very sensitive) but I've started getting a few interesting moments on it. Not that surprisingly it's really easy to throw around... a little more surprising is that it nose rides really well - the board locks in the curl and I think that the nose rocker even flattens out a little when on the nose... very interesting and a lot of fun.
Pics: Tom Woods

2 comments:

  1. Hey mate, some nice shots. Hotdogin!
    So when will we get to see these Valla tees?
    Have a good christmas budy. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Timmy, i'll post some pics of the Ts soon. Hope your well and getting some waves and enjoying the xmas break.

    ReplyDelete